Operation Identification is nationally recognized by law enforcement as a citizen's burglary prevention program for use in the home or business. This program has existed for over 30 years. The Operation ID program allows law enforcement to detect, identify, and return stolen or lost property to its rightful owner. The Operation ID program involves marking or engraving property with an identifying number and displaying a window decal to discourage burglary and theft. The ideal identifying number is your state issued Driver's License number which is easily recognized and traced by law enforcement. Avoid using your social security number.
Operation Identification was designed to:
- Assist the police in locating the owner of found property and recovered stolen property
- Discourage the activities of burglars and thieves
- Assist the police in apprehending and prosecuting criminals
If you mark your property, you increase the risk a criminal must take when he steals your valuables, and you have a better chance of having your property returned to you.
Electric engraving pencils are best used to mark most items. Persons who can not otherwise obtain an engraver may borrow one from the Bonham Police Department (call to determine availability). Some items, such as televisions, furniture and stereos, can be marked on the back side underneath with a felt-tip pen. Clothing and furs can be marked with invisible or indelible ink, or the number can be embroidered on the material. Small valuables, such as jewelry, silver and antiques, that are impossible to mark should be photographed. It may be desirable to keep some of your valuables in a safe-deposit box.
- Mark the Texas driver's license number of the owner in a permanent manner on all valuables, and preface it with a "TXDL-"; for example, TXDL-1234567.
- Businesses or persons who do not have a Texas driver's license should mark valuables with a police identification number, obtained by calling (903)583-2141. This number should be prefaced "TXPI-", for example, TXPI-9876543.
- Mark all property on permanent non-removable parts, such as the main frame. Items should be marked in a place of prominence - one where the number can be easily seen without having to dismantle the object.